DIY Entryway Bench With Shoe Storage
Build the perfect little shoe The next time you go home and dirty up a boot tray, rug or store-bought shelf with your snowy boots or muddy sneakers, imagine how it would feel storing that footwear in an aesthetically pleasing entryway bench with shoe storage. bench for your entryway.
The next time you go home and dirty up a boot tray, rug or store-bought shelf with your snowy boots or muddy sneakers, imagine how it would feel storing that footwear in an aesthetically pleasing entryway bench with shoe storage. Build this bench yourself with basic tools and beginner skills!
How long it will take to build this entryway bench with shoe storage:
1 hour, give or take
Materials you’ll need:
- 1 4×4 sheet of 3/4-inch plywood
- Wood glue
- A handful of 8d finish nails (about 25 if you’re counting)
The steps to build your entryway bench with shoe storage:
- Cut the plywood. Need a refresher on how to cut it? Learn from our expert, Spike. The pieces you’ll need are:
- Top: 13 x 26 inches
- Two Sides: 12 x 15 inches
- Back: 22-1/2 x 15 inches
- Two Shelves: 11-1/4 x 22-1/2 inches
- Spread wood glue on the joints. You can speed up this process by knowing the ins and outs of wood glue.
- Nail the joints together with your 8d finish nails. Be certain that you drive the nail slightly below the surface with a nail set (or pneumatic nailer if you have one). Knowing these finish nailer tips before you start the project will set you up for success. Be sure follow this order for proper construction of the bench.
- Nail through the sides into the back.
- Nail through the top into the sides and back
- Mark the location of the two shelves
- Nail through the sides into the shelves
- Wood putty and sand the nail holes (and any other imperfections in the wood). Be sure to use the finest wood filler to make this process easier. Sand any rough areas.
- Prime and paint! Now that the bench is built, prime and paint or stain it to fit in with your entryway.
Learn how to paint your shoe bench like this farmhouse chair.