Toolipedia: Drywall Screw Gun
Toolipedia: Everything you wanted to know about drywall screw guns.
What is a drywall screw gun?
A drywall screw gun is an extremely useful tool for drywall professionals and DIYers. A drywall screw gun functions similar to a standard drill with a few slight differences. First, it has a dedicated Phillips head bit that is semi-permanent. Second, most types drywall screw guns have an adjustable depth gauge to prevent the screw from driving in too deep and ripping the paper. However, still leaves a dimple to make finishing easy. Finally, most drywall screw guns have a pressure driven clutch. This engages the drill motor when the screw pressed into the drywall and disengages when the screw is driven in. Here are the basic parts of a drywall screw gun:
- Belt Clip (optional)
- Depth Adjustment
- Dedicated Drill Bit
- Drill bit housing
Though a standard drill and a drywall bit can be used, a drywall screw gun speeds up the drywall hanging process. Because of the increase in speed, many drywall professionals, remodelers and even DIYers prefer to use a drywall screw gun on larger projects.
How is a drywall screw gun used?
- Brace drywall to prepare for hanging
- Ensure that depth is adjusted properly
- Place screw on bit (most are magnetic and will hold the screw steady)
- Engage the trigger
- Press the screw into the drywall at the desired location
- Drive the screw in until the depth is reached and the drill stops driving the screw
- Replacement bits
- Drilling screws into drywall can produce dust, wear proper eye protection
- Clutch driven motors can create pinch points once they engage, keep your support hand away from the point of drilling
What are the different types of drywall screw guns?
- Drywall screw guns can be battery powered or corded
- Some drywall screw guns take collated screws
- Some drywall screw guns have built in belt clips
- Some drywall screw guns have removable drywall driver ends
- Some manufacturers make a drill/drywall screw gun combos
What makes a good drywall screw gun?
- Powerful motor
- Belt clip
- Easily adjustable depth guide
- Smoot clutch engagement
Dewalt makes a high quality drywall screw gun.
Drywall Screw Gun Tip
Test a few screws on a scrap piece of drywall before starting, to ensure that the screws are driven into the proper depth.