4.9 Million Bottles of Fabuloso Cleaner Recalled Over Potential Bacteria Contamination
Here's how to tell if you're affected by the Fabuloso recall, what to do if you have one of the recalled bottles, and how to get a refund.
Colgate-Palmolive, the company that makes the popular cleaner and disinfectant Fabuloso, is recalling 4.9 million bottles of Fabuloso Multi-Purpose Cleaner because the product may be contaminated with bacteria.
Why Is Fabuloso Being Recalled?
The Consumer Product Safety Commission announced the recall on Feb. 8. In a statement, the federal agency said the products may contain Pseudomonas bacteria.
Typically found in soil and water, this bacteria puts people with weakened immune systems and other chronic health issues at risk for serious infection. People with healthy immune systems are usually not affected and unlikely to get sick, according to the agency’s statement.
The bacteria can be inhaled, enter through the eyes or through a break in the skin, like a cut or scratch.
According to a statement from the company, “A preservative was not added at the intended levels during manufacturing.” That can lead to the potential for bacteria growth in the products.
What Fabuloso Products Are Being Recalled?
The recall encompasses bottles manufactured between Dec. 14, 2022 and Jan. 23, 2023. The company says 80 percent of those bottles were never released for sale.
Nine types of Fabuloso cleaners are subject to the recall. Here are the individual products listed by the CPSC:
- Fabuloso Original Multi-Purpose Cleaner Refreshing Lemon Scent, 22 fl. oz.
- Fabuloso Original Multi-Purpose Cleaner Lavender Scent, 22 fl. oz.
- Fabuloso Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Lemon Scent, 33.8 fl. oz., 56 fl. oz., 128 fl. oz. and 169 fl. oz.
- Fabuloso Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Passion of Fruits Scent, 33.8 fl. oz., 56 fl. oz., 128 fl. oz. and 169 fl. oz.
- Fabuloso Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Lavender Scent, 56 fl. oz., 128 fl. oz. and 169 fl. oz.
- Fabuloso Multi-Purpose Cleaner Bleach Alternative 2X Concentrated Formula, Spring Fresh Scent, 56 fl. oz.
- Fabuloso Multi-Purpose Cleaner, Lavender Scent, 210 fl. oz.
- Fabuloso Professional All Purpose Cleaner & Degreaser, Lavender Scent, One Gallon.
- Fabuloso Professional All Purpose Cleaner & Degreaser, Ocean Scent, One Gallon.
What to Do if You Have Recalled Fabuloso?
If you purchased any of the recalled Fabuloso products, the CPSC advises you stop using it and dispose of it in its container.
Colgate-Palmolive is offering a refund to anyone who purchased the affected products. To claim it, fill out this form on the company’s web site. You’ll also need to submit photos of the UPS and manufacturing codes. Instructions for where to find that information on the Fabuloso container can be found on the company’s web site as well.
You can expect refunds within four to six weeks.
What Is Fabuloso?
Fabuloso is a popular all-purpose cleaner for walls, counters, toilets, cabinets, all kinds of floors and nearly any other hard surface in your home. Originally created in Venezuela in 1980, it’s been sold in other countries since 1983. Fabuloso debuted in the United States in 1996. By 2019, it was the most popular all-purpose cleaner sold in the U.S., even more than Pine-Sol.