What to Know About Building a House
There are different phases to building a house: planning, design, the actual build itself, as well as décor — all of which need to work within your budget. Our checklist helps move you in the right direction.
Thomas Jackson / Stone via Getty Images
It’s been a lifelong dream: building your own house from the ground up. But don’t let your dream become a nightmare! As exciting as it is to start such a massive project, building a house is no easy feat. Thorough preparation and having realistic goals are keys to a successful experience. From planning to building, read our guide which will help inform you of what lies ahead as you’re breaking ground.
Fly View Productions / E+ via Getty Images
The most crucial step to building the home of your dreams is the planning phase. The first and most important factor that determines the scope of your project is naturally, your budget. Once you’ve crunched the numbers, you’re ready to tackle estimated costs for every phase of your build — from skilled labor to interior design — and finding clever ways to saving money where you can. Not only that, but you’ll also need to consider whether you’re required to obtain proper building permits.
- How Much Does It Cost to Build a House?
- 4 Ways to Finance Building a Home
- Home Construction Loans: What To Know
- How to Buy Land: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Budgeting Tips for Building Your Own House
- Staying on Budget When Building a Home
- Best Ways to Save Money When Building a New Home
Contractors and Permits
- How to Hire a Contractor
- Tips for Working with Contractors on Your Home Build
- What You Need to Know About Building Permits
- What Happens If I Don’t Get a Permit for My Home Remodel?
andresr / E+ via Getty Images
And now we get to the most personalized part! What do you want your home to look like? Are you more traditional, eclectic or modern in style? Whatever your design plans are, there are a variety of things to consider, such as whether or not you want to hire an architect and what kind of building material you’d like to use for your home’s exterior.
- How to Design a House: Three Options To Consider
- What to Consider When Choosing Construction and Building Materials
- Exterior Home Building Materials: What To Know
- 9 Ways to Repurpose Natural Materials in Home Design
Richard Clark / The Image Bank via Getty Images
It’s important to have your project manager, contractor and team of builders on board when it comes to the building phase of your home. There are many logistics to account for, one being if your future home will be located in a remote area, which will affect how you transport your materials there.