How to Get Rid of Cockroaches in the Home and Yard
Looking to learn how to get rid of cockroaches? These persistent pests invade for a reason. Here’s how to stop them.
Whencockroachesinvade the home, businesses or any other human made structure, they can multiple quickly and take over, making it an unpleasant and unhealthy place to live. Its important to know what to look for and the steps needed to eliminate an infestation.
How Do Cockroaches Get in the House
Where there aresigns of a cockroachin the home such as droppings, unusual smells and egg shells, you most likely will find one or a few. But how do they get in? Well, cockroaches are a resourceful and sneaky pest that can enter the house many different ways. Such avenues include:
- Plumbing:Drains and pipes that offer a moist entryway can provide an easy and ideal path to the home.
- Foundation and Wall Cracks:Cracks or holes in the foundation large enough for cockroaches get small and enter the home.
- Doors:Cockroaches have the ability to flatten their bodies and seep under doorways when attracted to what a house has to offer.
- Bags:Cockroaches can hide out in bags like groceries, purses, backpacks and trash that people bring in the home.
- Pet Food:Pet food is a potential food source for cockroaches, so if stored in a garage and brought inside you could potentially bring a few pests along, too.
What Attracts Cockroaches to the House
Cockroaches are continuously looking to survive and thrive in environments that will best suit their basic needs of food and shelter. They prefer warm and moist environments that are easy on their bodies and protect them from predators. Therefore, peoples homes provide numerous attractive benefits:
- Food:Food that gets left out, dirty dishes or crumbs on the floor are all great attractions for cockroaches to enter the house.
- Water:Cockroaches are attracted to a moist environment found in pipes, drains and bathtubs.
- Shelter:Cockroaches will hide under appliances, within walls, or dirty piles.
How to Get Rid of Cockroaches
Once it is clear that cockroaches are in the house, you should act fast to get them out.Cockroaches can be dangerousbecause of the diseases and agitations they bring with them, along with their messes. To get rid of them, remove their ideal environment or take additional steps to kill them. Such methods include:
- Cleaning:Cockroaches are attracted to food and filth, so begin by cleaning the house and removing their potential food sources.
- Seek out their shelter:They like hiding under appliances, within pipes and in garbage, so seek out cockroaches in these locations and remove them via a vacuum or the bottom of a shoe.
- Baits:Place chemicalstore-bought baitson the ground and in spots where cockroaches have been seen.
- Traps:Sticky traps, glue board traps and eco traps can all be placed around the home to lure and capture cockroaches.
- Pesticides:Pesticides such asboric acidcan be an effective way tokill cockroaches. If using this method, be sure to follow instructions and keep away from children and pets.
How to Prevent Cockroaches
Getting cockroaches out of the house is no easy task. But once you do, its important to take steps to make sure they dont come back. To prevent cockroaches from returning, here are a few things you can do:
- Clean and Remove Clutter:Its important to take away a cockroachs shelter and food source. Clean up the house, clear the dishes, mop and vacuum the floors, and get rid of any dirty areas where moisture and protection are prominent.
- Seal Openings to the House:Cockroaches look for any open space to enter a home. Checking the foundation andsealing cracksand holes with caulk can help eliminate passageways to the house.
- Plumbing and Leaks:Check the plumbingand search for any leaks that might be causing additional moisture in the home. Fixing the plumbing can make for a more inhospitable environment for cockroaches.
- Remove Food Sources:Remove any food sources such as pet food, crumbs and rotting food that cockroaches are attracted to and seek out.
- Cockroach Repellents:A combination of efforts can be used to help keep cockroaches out of the home repellents such as sprays and essential oils, plus ultrasonic devices.
If you come across acockroach infestationthat seems too much to handle, calling the professionalcockroach exterminatoris the best way to protect your home from these pests. They can evaluate your unique situation and provide the best solution that is safe and effective for your home.
- Cockroach Guide
- Types of Cockroaches
- How to Get Rid of Cockroaches
- Ways to Kill Cockroaches
- How to Prevent Cockroaches
- Cockroach Infestations
- Cockroach Life Cycle
- Cockroach Safety
- Cockroach Facts