How to Get Rid of Skunk Smell
Skunk spray is pungent and oily. It’s hard to remove and the longer you wait, the harder it is to neutralize. Here’s how to get rid of skunk smell.
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links.
Bildagentur Zoonar GmbH/Shutterstock
Ever get a whiff of fresh skunk spray? That skunky smell wafting through your car vent on a country road cant compare to the potency of fresh skunk spray which is overwhelming, to say the least. The smell from skunk spray can linger for two to three weeks, so if youre the unfortunate recipient you need to act fast. Skunk spray is pungent, oily and hard to remove. The longer you wait, the more difficult it is to neutralize. Heres how to get rid of skunk smell.
How to Get Rid of Skunk Smell in the Car
Hitting a skunk with your car is not only traumatic, but smelly. Heres how to get rid of skunk smell in the car ASAP:
- Mix one quart of hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, and one teaspoon of liquid dish soap in a bowl. With a clean cloth, gently scrub (do not saturate) the interior surfaces of your car.
- Next, wash your cars carpet and upholstery with clean water. Push a fresh cloth into the carpet and upholstery to dry them.
- Wash the exterior of your car, including the tires, as you would a normal car wash.
- Finally, to soak up the remaining stink, place charcoal in a small plastic container. Cut a few small holes in the lid and leave this in your car for a few weeks. The charcoal will absorb lingering odors.
How to Get Rid of Skunk Smell in the House
While its rare for a skunk to sneak into a house, its scent may linger if a person or pet who was sprayed comes indoors. In that case, here are some tips to get rid of skunk smell in the house:
- Open up windows;
- Run house fans if you have them;
- Place dishes of vinegar around the house (out of reach of pets and young children);
- Heat a pan of vinegar on the stovetop.
How to Get Rid of Skunk Smell on a Pet
If a skunk sprayed your pet, dont fret. Try this solution from The Humane Society of the United States:
- Mix one quart of three-percent hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and one teaspoon liquid dish soap just before use, not in advance.
- Wear rubber gloves when applying and keep the solution away from your pets eyes and mouth.
- Rinse immediately, then follow up with a pet shampoo. Some pet shampoos are designed to neutralize skunk smells, such as this one.
How to Get Rid of Skunk Smell on Clothing
Heres one method:
- Soak washable clothing in a solution of one part vinegar and four parts water for several hours.
- Rinse with water, then wash in hot water using detergent and 1/2 cup baking soda. Set for repeat rinse.
- Hang dry, outdoors if possible. Do not use the clothes dryer.
Skunks arent the only animal pest you may have to deal with. Learn how to get rid of raccoons.