Toolipedia: Tile Cutter
Toolipedia: Everything you wanted to know aboutmanual tile cutters
What is a tile cutter?
A manual tilecuter is a simple scoring tool usedto cutstraight lines inceramicand porcelain tile.They are used by tile installers. Here are the basiccomponentsof a tile cutter:
- Slide Rails
- Scoring wheel
How is a tile cutter used?
- Place a tile on the baseof the cutter.
- Grab the handle and run the scoring wheel(usually forward)across theentireface of the tile.
- Pull backwardson the handlea bit to engage the breaker.
- Press down on the handle to snap the tile.
What are the different types of tile cutters?
Some cutters canonly cut tiles up to 12 inches while others can cuttiles 24 inches and larger.The slidesrail/smost commonlyconsist ofeithera singlebarortwo tubes.There aremany other tools available to cut tile besides a manual tile cutter: tile saws,nippers, grinders are a few.
What makes a good tile cutter?
- Carbide cutting wheel
- Ball bearingsin the carriage
- Good sight lines to the cutting wheel
- Support wings
- Guide/ruler witha stop for cutting multiple piece
- Option to cuttiles at an angle
- Compact size (collapsible)
QEP makes agood tilecutter.
Tile cutter tip
Keep the rails cleanandlubed upwith silicone spray. Other petroleumlubricants canattractthe fine porcelain and ceramic dust.