6 Tips for Building a Little Free Library
Promote your library with a sign, or even a special event, to spread the word.
Image Credits:Country Woman Magazine
Charlotte Endorf often helps visiting kids like Sam (above) find the perfect book.
Get started making your own little free library with these tips:
- Boxes can be any shape or size, but make sure they have a door that closes securely and are waterproof.
- Use recycled materials when you can. One of Charlotte’s libraries started as an old mailbox.
- Decide what kind of books you want to fill it with—children’s books, adult novels, cookbooks or even DVDs—or maybe a mix of everything.
- Have a collection of books on hand to resupply the library. Charlotte swaps hers out every week to keep the selection fresh.
- Consider offering a bench or a place to sit and flip through the books, if you have the space.
- Promote your library with a sign, or even a special event, to spread the word.
Visit littlefreelibrary.org for more information.