7 Best Kitchen Rugs to Spruce Up Your Space
The best kitchen rugs offer function, safety, style and comfort. Spruce up your space with one of these top picks!
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
Want to add a pop of color to your kitchen? Need a soft spot to stand on while washing dishes? The best kitchen rugs add warmth, style and character to your space. They also cushion tired feet and help dampen the sound of creaking floorboards.
What to Look for When Choosing a Kitchen Rug
Kitchen rugs come in all shapes, sizes and colors. Consider this your guide to buying rugs online:
Whether a rug sits at the base of the sink, spans the length of the galley or sits underneath the dining table, size matters. Be sure to measure the space where the rug will be before you start shopping, just like you would for an area rug in another part of your home.
Do you prefer natural fibers such as jute or bamboo, or easy-care, synthetic fabrics that you can wash? Indoor/outdoor rugs are a great option for kitchen entrances or attached mudrooms. Some of the best outdoor rugs look just as stylish as their indoor counterparts.
Many of today’s rugs are lightweight and made of fabrics you can toss right into the washing machine. Unless they have a non-slip rubber backing (see below), most are also dryer-safe.
The best rugs for hardwood floors have a non-slip, gripping backing. This kind of backing also works well on tile, linoleum and other slick surfaces.
Cushioned rugs will save your aching feet and back. They also make a nice spot for your pet to nap.
The selection of kitchen rug colors and patterns is nearly endless. From simple to traditional to wild, go ahead and express yourself.
- Best Kitchen Rug Overall: Langley Street Caulkins Anti-Fatigue Mat
- Best Value Kitchen Rug: Ritz Solid Accent Rug
- Best Jute Kitchen Rug: RugUSA Braided Concentric Circles Area Rug
- Best Bamboo Kitchen Rug: iDesign Formbu Bamboo Floor Mat
- Best Country-Style Kitchen Rug: Capel Kill Devil Hill Area Rug
- Best Machine-Washable Kitchen Rug: ReaLife Machine Washable Rug
- Best Kitchen Rug Runner: Spicher and Company Classic Vintage Vinyl Area Rug
Best Kitchen Rug Overall
Langley Street Caulkins Anti-Fatigue Mat
Save your aching back and sore feet with the Langley Street Caulkins Anti-Fatigue Mat. Perfect for kitchens, laundry rooms and home offices, the boho floor mat complements current kitchen color trends and is made of non-toxic PVC. It’s also five inches thick, making it one of the best kitchen rugs for tired feet.
Five-star Wayfair reviewer Susan writes, “Love, love, love these Anti-Fatigue Mats in our kitchen! They are colorful and comfortable! How did we cook without them?”
- Affordable yet high quality
- Padded mat for extra comfort
- Stylish design and color palette
- Anti-slip backing
- Available in two sizes (20×32 inches and 20×60 inches)
- Surface easy to puncture
- Vintage colors may look washed out depending on other decor
Best Value Kitchen Rug
Ritz Solid Accent Rug
A budget-friendly, straightforward option that will run you less than $12, the Ritz Solid Accent Rug features durable construction thanks to its sturdy nylon loops and overlock edge stitching. The underside features a patch of a grippy rubber to ensure that the rug stays put. Love a splash of color? This rug comes in seven shades to coordinate with your kitchen color story.
While you’re at it, scoop up one of the best carpet cleaners to ensure that the rug always looks its best.
- The low-pile rug isn’t cushy underfoot
- Colors may be darker than they appear online
Best Jute Kitchen Rug
Rugs USA Braided Concentric Circles Area Rug
Handwoven of textured braided jute, the Rugs USA Braided Concentric Circles Area Rug (in natural or ivory) is a timeless, earth-toned complement to any kitchen. The rug measures four feet around, but if you need something bigger, you can opt for either the six- or eight-foot size. Brighten up your space with these irregular rug shapes.
- Handwoven, natural jute material
- Neutral colors are easy to pair with kitchen decor
- Reversible design
- Dirt and dust can get trapped between the circles
Best Bamboo Kitchen Rug
iDesign Formbu Bamboo Floor Mat
Bring nature inside the kitchen with the iDesign Formbu Bamboo Floor Mat. A popular alternative to kitchen remodeling, this sustainable wood runner has over 4,000 reviews and a 4.4-star rating on Amazon. It’s made of slats of renewable bamboo with a fabric border that strikes the perfect balance of warmth and texture and comes in five sizes. Buy it individually or in a set of two.
- Sustainable bamboo material
- Water-resistant coating
- Non-skid backing
- Surface can be slippery when wet
- Edges may temporarily curl upon arrival
Best Country-Style Kitchen Rug
Capel Kill Devil Hill Area Rug
Want a rug that looks right at home in a countryside cottage? Named after a coastal town in North Carolina, the Kill Devil Hill Area Rug by Capel is one of the best kitchen rugs for homeowners who love farmhouse style. The cozy, oval braided rug is made of a blend of wool and synthetic yarns for durability and, with sizing starting at 2.5 feet long, it’s perfect as small kitchen decor.
RugDirect reviewer Laura M. writes, “This rug was exactly what I needed. We remodeled a 1940s bungalow, and this rug finished the tiny dining room perfectly.”
- Braided, multicolor design suits country and farmhouse aesthetics
- Fully reversible
- Matching rug pad (sold separately)
- Available in many sizes
- Must be rotated to promote even wear
- Indoor only
Best Machine-Washable Kitchen Rug
ReaLife Machine Washable Rug
Stressed about how to clean your rug? The ReaLife Machine Washable Rug makes it simple. Not only is it one of the most popular machine-washable rugs on Amazon (with over 1,200 reviews to date), this rug is also dryer-safe. Just toss it in on the no-heat, air-only setting.
- Safe for the washing machine and dryer
- Lightweight, one-piece construction in a timeless design
- Made of recyclable synthetic fibers
- One of the best kitchen rugs for pet owners
- May slide around on hardwood
- Larger sizes of the rug won’t fit in home washers
Best Kitchen Rug Runner
Spicher and Company Classic Vintage Vinyl Area Rug
If a small kitchen rug would get lost in your space, the Spicher and Company Classic Vintage Vinyl Area Rug is for you. Sized to cover a lot of real estate, the beautifully crafted, vintage starburst-patterned runner is made of long-lasting vinyl. It’s available in a series of distressed hues that are neutral enough to match any kitchen flooring, and come with or without borders.
- Runner design covers a large section of floor
- Indoor/outdoor use
- Custom sizes available
- Made in the USA
- Color variations may occur
Shop smarter with our expert recommendations for tools, gear and money-saving deals on can’t miss DIY and home products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.