The Best Snow Removal Equipment for Your Home
Shop the best snow removal equipment to tackle any task, whether you're shoveling a front walk or taking care of a long driveway.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
There’s nothing quite like waking up to a fresh snow blanketing everything outside your house. However, the luster quickly fades when you realize that you’ll have to get out there and shovel the driveway, but only if you don’t own the best snow removal equipment. Winter messes require breaking out your incredible manual snow removal tools, and remembering the best time-saving ice removal hacks.
Determining the length of your driveway and walkway helps narrow down the snow blower vs. snow removal service debate. If you have a small or medium driveway or modest walkway space, opting for a snow blower is probably best. With some quality equipment and a little elbow grease, you’ll be able to remove loads of snow on your own. Just make sure you avoid these mistakes when removing snow.
What to Consider When Buying Snow Removal Equipment
First, determine how much snow you plan to remove. If you have relatively limited outdoor space, you may only need one of the best snow shovels and some warm winter clothes. Those with larger driveways and extended walkways should invest in one of the best reviewed snow blowers, though. Whether you choose a cordless snow blower or a top-selling Craftsman gas snow blower, you’ll be able to clear any area fast and easily.
Best Back-Saving Shovel
Snow Joe Shovelution
Shovel smart, not hard and save yourself the backache with the best snow removal equipment. The Snow Joe Shovelution uses an ergonomic, spring-loaded grip to harness the energy from your upper body movement to make shoveling easier.
By concentrating the leverage on the lower hand, it also keeps you from having to stoop down, saving strain on the back. Pop on a self-heating jacket and some rechargeable hand warmers, and you’ll be good to go.
- Ergonomic handle and grip
- Reduces back stress
- Available in several sizes and colors
- More than 16,000 five-star reviews on Amazon
- Best-suited for smaller outdoor spaces like walkways and parking spots
Best Wheelbarrow Snow Plow
The wheelbarrow is one of the most versatile tools in any garage. You can even turn one into a snow plow, without having to deal with expensive add-ons for your truck or ATV. An included attachment turns this Worx Aerocart into a wheeled snow plow in just seconds.
- Versatile lifting and moving cart that functions in all four seasons
- Easy use and maintenance
- Works on larger quantities of snow and pile-ups
- No electricity or gas required
- A bigger investment than a shovel, but it has so many uses and applications that it’s worth the added cost
Best Plow Attachment
ATV Snow Plow Blade
If you prefer riding your snow plow rather than pushing it, you’re not alone. Throw on your favorite heated vest and try this Warn 50-inch plow blade that attaches to an ATV. The plow ranges in size up to 72-inches and helps you clear out your drive in a hurry.
- Attaches quickly and easily to ATVs and other small vehicles
- Available in several sizes
- The most fun and engaging snow removal equipment we’ve seen yet
- Heavy-duty steel construction
Best Roof Snow Removal Equipment
Avalanche Snow Roof Rake
Besides looking cool, the Avalanche roof snow removal tool does the trick so you can clear snow from the safety of the ground. It weighs only 10 pounds and has a 12-foot-long pole to clear high-reaching snow easily. It’s also one of the most important pieces of snow removal equipment to keep on hand if you rely on solar power. While you’re breaking out the roof rakes, don’t forget to remove ice dams, too.
- Makes removing heavy, compacted snow from roofing a breeze
- Doesn’t require loads of strength or grip ability
- Expandable design
- Helps clear solar panels and weak spots without causing damage
- Requires a storage spot like a garage rack or shed with a high roof
Best Ice Melt Distributor
Scotts Elite Push Spreader
If you live in a snowy region, a seed spreader is more than just a spring and summer tool. Fill it up with your favorite ice melt to spread on driveways, walkways and sidewalks for a quick and easy way to melt ice. It’s the best snow removal equipment product that has year-round use.
- Makes spreading ice melts and sidewalk salts a quick and easy task
- Four seasons of use
- Easy to push
- Requires frequent cleaning and a dedicated storage spot
Best Battery-Powered Snow Thrower
GreenWorks Pro Push Snow Thrower
This GreenWorks battery-operated snow thrower clears up to 10 inches of snow and tosses it 20 feet away. It folds up for easy storage, and the battery lasts for 45 minutes. That’s more than enough time to get you through a medium-sized driveway and a few walkways. Snow throwers rival even the best snow blowers, and tend to be far more affordable.
- Throws snow up to 20 feet away
- Can handle up to 10 inches of snow height at a time
- Easy to push
- Not ideal for massive blizzard accumulation—this machine can jam with snow piles more than 10 inches
Best Portable Shovel
Overmont Folding Shovel
If you’re doing any traveling during the winter, it’s a smart idea to keep a folding snow shovel in the car in case you get stuck or need to dig your way out the morning after a big storm. The Overmont folding snow shovel collapses down to conveniently fit in a trunk or even in a backpack.
It moves plenty of snow thanks to a nearly one-foot surface, and the height adjusts from 26 to 32 inches. With its lightweight construction (only 1.3 pounds) and anti-slip grip handle, it’s easy to see why it’s one of the best reviewed snow shovels on Amazon.
- Folding, portable design makes it easy to take and store anywhere
- Anti-rust aluminum alloy construction
- Free ice scraper included
- Adjustable height makes shoveling easy for people of most sizes
- Not ideal for massive work surfaces like driveways, but perfect for shoveling around snowed-in cars and small paths
Best Electric Snow Shovel
Earthwise Cordless Power Shovel
If a full-size snow thrower is a little too much power for your needs, try a cordless electric snow shovel. The Earthwise power shovel throws up to 300 pounds of snow per minute and clears a depth of eight inches. It’s ideal for walkways, parking spots and small driveways. Plus, it’s smaller than electric snow blowers, so it requires less storage space.
- Compact and cordless design
- Throws up to 300 pounds of snow per minute
- Easy to maneuver
- Clears modest snow depths up to eight inches
- Not ideal for massive snow dumps or blizzards
Best Ice Scraper
Heavy Duty Sidewalk and Ice Scraper
Sometimes the simplest tool is the most effective—and you can’t get more simple than a classic ice scraper. This Bully Tools Sidewalk and Ice Scraper features a thick 11-gauge steel blade that lasts a lifetime.
An extra-long steel handle makes it ideal for scraping hard to reach places like tall truck windows. It’s one of the best snow removal equipment pieces to keep on hand if you live in especially cold climates prone to ice storms.
- Easily breaks up ice
- Extra-thick 11-gauge steel blade
- Oversized steel handle helps reach high and difficult spots
- Requires a fair amount of elbow grease
How We Chose the Best Snow Removal Equipment
As shopping experts, our only job is to help you find a winning product. We start with the research and reporting basics—what products are made of, what they look like and how much they cost—to ensure that we’re only recommending the buys that are worth your time and money. Then, we research the features that speak to the product’s quality, taking advice from industry insiders and subject matter experts on what makes a product a smart value (or worthy of a splurge). Finally, we do the work of combing through user reviews to see how real people interact with the product, and if it stands up to the test.
Shop smarter with our expert recommendations for tools, gear and money-saving deals on can’t miss DIY and home products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.