8 Best Solar Path Lights
Functional and eco-friendly, here are the best solar path lights to help you find your way around at night.
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
Buying Solar Path Lights
Solar-powered path lights require minimal effort and no complicated setup, making them a smart outdoor lighting choice. By going solar, you’ll avoid electrical cords, digging up your yard for underground wiring and — best of all — costly utility bills.
Focus on these features when shopping for solar path lights:
- Light output (lumens): This indicates brightness. The Home Depot recommends 100 to 200 lumens for path lighting. Use fewer lumens for decorative purposes and more for increased illumination.
- Light temperature: Measured in Kelvins; 3,000K offers an excellent middle ground between cool and warm light.
- Recharge time: The solar cells/panels with these systems convert sunlight to electricity, then store it in batteries until nighttime. Average recharging time is about eight hours.
- Battery run time: This is the span the batteries will work on a charge. According to Energy.gov, the “nightly run time” is based on specific sunlight conditions. The more sunlight solar cells receive during the day, the longer they’ll provide power at night.
- Battery life: We know batteries don’t last forever. Expect to replace them after a year or so or when they no longer hold a charge. Pro tip: Make sure the bulbs and batteries in your path lights can be easily replaced.
- Materials: Look for powder-coated metal for better rust and corrosion resistance. Plastic (ABS) is lightweight and durable.
- IP Rating: This stands for Ingress Protection (against rain, snow, dust, etc.) Look for a rating of IP44 or higher.
Sunco Lighting Dusk2Dawn LED Solar Path Lights
Each small light includes a built-in solar panel, a rechargeable (and replaceable) battery and a dusk-to-dawn photocell sensor to turn lights on and off automatically. Super easy to install, they have a waterproof rating of IP65 and come with a one-year warranty.
RetroDesignzz Garden Solar Path Light
If you’re looking to create a romantic ambience along your garden path, we suggest the RetroDesignzz Garden Solar Light. Handmade of stainless steel, crackled glass and ABS (a common thermal polymer), when lit these lights look like golden, shimmering bubbles.
These lights can be staked into the ground along a pathway or placed on a deck, even atop a patio table. They look great individually, but even better in a cluster. When charged, the light offers an impressive glow time of eight to 10 hours.
Threshold Pathway Spotlight
Threshold LED Spotlights let you point the light where you need it most — on dimly lit walkways, a gate, entryway or driveway. Aim them in any direction. They’re also great for highlighting plants and water features. These couldn’t be easier to install — just stick them in the ground!
Ring Solar Path Light
The smart Ring Solar Path Light connects with your Ring Bridge or Amazon device to get notifications, customize settings, control brightness and react to easy voice commands from anywhere. It even has a motion detector. These path lights are simple to set up and use — just download the free Ring app and ask Alexa to do the rest.
TomCare Solar Lantern
Want to have a little fun with path lighting? The TomCare Solar Lights Solar Lantern produces a crackling flame effect without the fire hazard.
Place the playful, dancing lights along garden paths, walkways or stairs. You can also use the clamp and ring to suspend it from a shepherd’s hook (not included). Each lamp comes with a large, fast-charging solar panel. The casing has an impressive waterproof rating of IP65.
Gigalumi Solar Powered Path Lights
Inspired by the 19th-century Arts and Crafts movement, Gigalumi Solar Powered Path Lights are especially flattering near homes with traditional or vintage aesthetics. As one Amazon reviewer writes, “I live in a Craftsman style home and these lights complement the architectural style perfectly.” The solar-powered lamps give off an amber-tinged luster for up to eight hours on a full charge.
Twinkle Star Solar Path Lights
When you’re looking for a “less is more” approach to outdoor lighting design, these simple matte black Twinkle Star Solar Path Lights work with most landscape styles. They’re versatile too. The slim tube lights can be installed in two ways: staked directly into the ground or with the round base and screws.
Take Me Metal Solar Path Light
For something distinctive and decorative, we like the Take Me Garden Solar Lights. These pretty lights, shaped like inverted cones, cast interesting flower patterns along paths, walkways and edges of lawns. They’ll give your garden an ethereal feel.
Writes one Amazon reviewer, “These beauties put off plenty of decorative light to ensure safety and light the pathway all while being absolutely gorgeous.”