6 Products to Maximize Your Garage Ceiling Storage
Don't let that space high overhead go to waste! Here are the best products to maximize garage ceiling storage brilliantly.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
A garage is one of those places we tend to use as a dumping ground for things we don’t know what to do with. Optimizing the lofty forgotten space takes planning and a couple of clever garage ceiling storage ideas up your sleeve.
So, where do you start decluttering and neatening the garage? Just look up! The best DIY garage storage projects are ones that create or reclaim overhead garage space for stashing. When your neighbors ask how you got so organized, say you had help from space-saving storage solutions you can either purchase or make yourself.
Fleximounts Garage Overhead Storage Rack
Ceiling-mounted shelves are ideal for storing heavy boxes up and out of the way. This top-selling ceiling-mounted rack provides up to 105 cubic feet of storage. Adding garage over-door storage is the best way to take advantage of underused space while keeping your things far from pesky bugs and rodents.
This garage ceiling storage solution is strong, too! Made of durable, cold-rolled steel construction, it holds up to 600 pounds, and the integrated grid pattern ensures your belongings are secure and stable. If you’re feeling inspired, here are even more space-saving garage organization ideas you can DIY.
- Size is easily adjustable
- Installs securely into wood studs, joists or concrete walls
- High-quality screws
- Hooks (sold separately) can hang bikes and sporting equipment below
- Must make sure joists/studs are either 24 or 48 inches apart before ordering
- Some might find it difficult to install
Smartology Heavy-Duty Storage Hanging Hooks
No garage ceiling storage idea is more versatile and cost-effective than rubber-coated garage hooks. Screw the hooks into ceiling rafters or wall beams to hang anything from bicycles to tools to golf bags. Another garage rafter storage idea that maximizes every inch of the space, these J-style hooks fit into corners or mount in rows on high walls.
- Come in a pack of eight
- Each hook holds up to 60 pounds
- Non-slip coating
- Simple thread design
- Could come loose if installed improperly or load recommendation is exceeded
- Drywall anchors not included
Best Storage Net
TireTek Cargo Net
Repurposing a cargo net in the garage is a flexible way to increase overhead garage storage in a flash. A genius sports equipment storage hack for soft gear like volleyballs, tennis balls and pool accessories, this bungee net features extra-thick latex core bungee webbing. It comes with 12 heavy-duty metal carabiners (D-clips) to secure it in place. Lightweight items that otherwise take up floor space now have a home in the garage ceiling storage zone.
- Stretches from 4-feet by 6-feet to 8-feet by 10-feet
- Tight 4-inch by 4-inch mesh netting keeps items from falling through
- Strong knotted webbing joints
- 100% money-back guarantee
- Only holds up to 44 pounds
Best Storage Hoist
Hi-Lift Cargo Box Ceiling Hoist
No need to climb a ladder when you can bring stored items down to you with this garage ceiling storage hoist. It uses heavy-duty straps and a pulley mechanism to raise and let down larger items such as boxes, roof carriers or paddle boards. Simply lower them using the hoist to access your items when adventure calls.
- Patented square brackets securely hold straps in place
- Strong enough to store items up to 60 pounds
- Auto-locking rope break
- One-person operation
- Installation instructions can be confusing: Fortunately, the company provides a helpful video
Best for Bikes
Racor Bike Lift
File this product under the top 10 must-have bike accessories. If you have a heavy bike or lack the strength to lift it over your head, try this ceiling-mounted pulley system. A scaled-down version of the hoist storage system mentioned earlier, this one is designed to work with ceilings up to 12 feet high. Easy to use as it is to install, it frees up six to eight feet of floor storage. Check out these other outstanding garage bike storage products, too.
- Significantly reduces the weight of items
- Wall-mounted cord wrap keeps the rope tidy
- Solid steel construction
- Installs in minutes (no assembly required)
- Hardware and cord may need to be replaced over time
Best For Watercrafts
Utility Kayak Rack
Hang slings from the ceiling to store long, narrow water and winter sports equipment like kayaks, canoes, surfboards or skis off the ground. This double kayak storage rack attaches to a garage’s ceiling or wall. It can also be installed on your backyard fence or the side of a shed. It comes with coated S-hooks and stainless-steel mounting bolts to secure gear and equipment, freeing up precious real estate. It’s one of many brilliant ways to organize your garage.
- 135-pound capacity
- Quick-release straps
- Adjustable to hold boats of varying widths
- One person may struggle loading kayaks alone
What to Consider When Buying Garage Ceiling Storage Systems
The first step to streamlining your garage is to assess the mess. Ask yourself how much garage space you have to work with and then look for high-ceiling garage storage solutions that meet those criteria. Consider how much weight your ceiling can support, and choose a durable material that will keep your stuff suspended without tearing, warping or breaking. You should also consider how easy it will be to access your things once you’ve hoisted them into storage.
Types of Garage Ceiling Storage
- Shelves and Racks: Flat, horizontal surfaces to keep items off the floor. They come in various sizes and are made of a slab of wood, metal or plastic. Racks use bars, wires or pegs.
- Lifts and Hoists: Use pulley systems to raise objects off the ground in an elevated position.
- Utility Hooks: An inexpensive and simple way to hang anything from water hoses to sporting equipment to garden tools from the garage ceiling or wall.
- Slings and Cargo Nets: A sling is a series of straps to support long, slim objects (i.e., kayaks and skis). Nets act like a stretchy hammock to hold lightweight items such as sports balls, outdoor cushions or pool floats.
- Waterproof Storage Containers: Best for storing treasured items or important documents since they block moisture, dirt, bugs and other pests from getting inside.
How We Found the Best Garage Ceiling Storage Solutions
As shopping experts, our only job is to help you find a winning product. We start with the research and reporting basics—what products are made of, what they look like and how much they cost—to ensure that we’re only recommending the buys that are worth your time and money. Then, we research the features that speak to the product’s quality, taking advice from industry insiders and subject matter experts on what makes a product a smart value (or worthy of a splurge). Finally, we do the work of combing through user reviews to see how real people interact with the product, and if it stands up to the test.
Is overhead garage storage safe?
Overhead garage storage is safe if done correctly. Unless you’re a contractor or a very experienced DIYer, it’s a good idea to hire a professional to help with the installation.
How much weight can I hang from my garage trusses?
A lot depends on whether your garage has a floor above it or not. The size and type of lumber used for the joists or trusses are also important to know. Most experts say that unless your garage ceiling is specifically engineered for holding extra weight, how much your garage trusses can support should be determined by a structural engineer.
Shop smarter with our expert recommendations for tools, gear and money-saving deals on can’t miss DIY and home products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.