How to Cut Fiberglass Insulation Batts
Cutting batt insulation the easy way
A full day
IntroductionWorking with fiberglass insulation is never a fun job. But we've got some tips and tricks to help minimize discomfort and the mess associated with cutting it.
- work gloves
- straight edge
- utility knife
- Fiberglass batt insulation
Project step-by-step (3)
Prepare space on the floor
- To avoid damaging the floor underneath, use a full sheet of plywood or subfloor to cut the insulation on.
- If your remodel doesn’t yet have a floor, that’s even easier – cut it right on the subfloor.
- PRO TIP: If you’re cutting many bats at the same length, make some marks on the plywood so you don’t have to measure every single batt.
Use a straight edge
- Use a straight edge to cut batt insulation.
- PRO TIP: Using a piece of scrap plywood cut in the shape of an L makes a really good jig to cut straight, square and clean.
Make the cut
- Using an extendable utility knife, draw the blade toward you along the straight edge.
- With even downward pressure and a sharp blade, it should cut a perfectly square, clean edge.
Originally Published: August 02, 2021