How to Get Dog and Cat Urine Out of Your Mattress
Pet accidents happen — sometimes on your bed — but that doesn't mean you have to live with the unpleasant stains and odors.
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links.
A full day
If you have an excitable puppy or a senior cat, chances are you will experience a few accidents. And yes, sometimes those accidents will happen on the bed. It's no secret that cleaning a mattress is a tricky task. But with the right supplies at your disposal, it is possible to get pet urine stains — and the smell that comes with them — out of your mattress.
- Dry cotton towels
- Spray Bottle
- Baking soda
- Enzymatic cleaner
- Lavender essential oil (optional)
- White vinegar
Project step-by-step (7)
Remove and Wash Bedding
- Take sheets, blankets and pillows off the bed.
- Treat any stains with a stain remover, and wash affected linens in hot water.
Blot Up Liquid
- If the pet stain is fresh, use a clean cotton towel to soak up as much of the urine as possible.
- Press down firmly on the stained area, but do not rub.
- Paper towels will also work for this step but you'll likely use quite a few of them.
- Skip this step if the stain is already dry.
Make Vinegar Solution
- Mix together a homemade cleaning solution of 50 percent white vinegar and 50 percent cold water.
- Use 1/2 cup of each ingredient to start.
- Add a few drops of lavender essential oil if you can't stand the vinegar smell.
- Pour the solution into your spray bottle.
Apply the Vinegar Mixture
- Spray a liberal amount of the vinegar solution over the affected area of your mattress.
- Let the solution sit for five minutes, then blot it up with a fresh towel.
- Repeat this step at least one more time.
Use Baking Soda to Remove Odors
- After the stain is removed, sprinkle a generous layer of baking soda over the mattress.
- Let the powder sit for eight to 10 hours
- This will also help absorb lingering moisture.
- Vacuum up the baking soda.
- Repeat if needed.