How to Get Pet Stains Out of Carpet
Home remedies and products to clean your pet-stained carpet.
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links.
A full day
Less than $20
IntroductionIf you are a lover of pets, whether it be cats or dogs, your four-legged family members are bound to have some accidents on the carpet. No need to panic — here's how to remove them. Read on for some home remedies and our favorite enzyme products.
- Soft-bristle brush
- Spray Bottle
- Baking soda
- Dish soap
- Hydrogen peroxide
- White vinegar
Project step-by-step (6)
Act Immediately on New Stains
- It's important to take immediate action after discovering an accident.
- Remove vomit or feces using a plastic bag.
- Be careful not to embed anything further into the carpet fibers.
Blot, Don’t Rub
- Lay three or four paper towels over the soiled area. Blot, don’t rub, putting pressure on the towels and pulling the moisture out of the carpet.
- Note: Repeat this several times until the dry towels no longer absorb moisture. You may have to stand on the paper towel to get all the moisture out.
Home Made Cleaners
- Mix a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and cold water in a clean spray bottle.
- Or, mix 1/2 cup of hydrogen peroxide with two cups of water in a clean spray bottle.
- Pro Tip: Add a few drops of unscented dishwashing detergent to the hydrogen peroxide/water solution for added cleaning.
Lifting the Stain
- Spray a liberal amount of the cleaning solution to the stain so it soaks down into the carpet and pad.
- Lay three or four paper towels over the sprayed area and blot. Repeat this several times until the dry towels no longer absorb moisture
- Sprinkle baking soda directly on the stain. Spray more cleaning solution on the baking soda.
- Use a soft-bristled brush to work the baking soda into the fibers of the carpet.
- Let dry overnight and vacuum away the dried baking soda.
- Pro tip: If the soiled area is dry, wet it with cold water and let it sit for 15 minutes before blotting.
Here are a few enzyme cleaners on the market that work well for pet stains and odor elimination:
Wet Vac Carpet Cleaner
- For dried and set stains, you may want to consider renting a Wet Vac Carpet Cleaner or Carpet Spot Cleaner & Stair Detailer from your hardware store or rental center. Even some grocery stores rent them. These machines deep clean the carpet fibers, drawing out particles and dirty water.