How to Build a Mid-Century Modern Coat Rack
This classy coat rack will have guests begging to hang up their jackets. It was part of a larger entryway makeover project with a Mid-Century Modern shelf and storage bench.
A full day
IntroductionWelcome family and friends to your home with a beautiful, hand-made coat rack.
- Band saw
- Basic carpentry tools
- Cordless drill
- palm sander
- 3" wood screws
- 4/4 cherry
- Black paint
- Hide glue
- Wipe-on polyurethane
The Coat Rack:
Overall dimensions: 12-in. wide x 72-in. high.
Project step-by-step (4)
Cut The Center Block
- This three-legged coat rack presents a unique challenge during assembly because there’s no good way to use a clamp. A combination of glue and screws will suffice.
- I glued the three legs together around an inner triangle of wood. Cut this triangular block on the table saw with the blade set to 30 degrees.
- Each face should be the same thickness as the legs.
Glue the Legs Together
- When I can’t use clamps, I rely on a trick called a rub joint. It’s rubbing two pieces of wood together until the glue becomes tacky. Hide glue works well for this because it dries fast.
- Glue the center block to one leg first, and let it dry. Glue the other legs onto the center block one at a time, allowing the glue to dry before gluing the next leg.
- Pro tip: Use tape to keep things from shifting around while the glue dries.
Make The Hat Hooks
- The hat hooks will need a double bevel on the inside edge to fit between the legs of the coat rack.
- You’ll need to make two passes on the table saw with the blade set to 30 degrees.
- Once the parts are cut out, predrill for the assembly screw with a 1/8-in. countersink bit.
Predrill For Final Assembly
- Using thick CA glue, attach the hat hooks onto the legs, staggering each one a few inches.
- Let the glue set up for 10 minutes, then drill pilot holes and countersink for 3-in. screws.
- The 3-in. screws will connect the hat hooks, the center block and the opposing leg. This will give this coat rack strength for the heaviest of winter jackets.
Originally Published: November 10, 2021