How to Install a Pendant Light
A simple project that will add another layer of light to your room.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
A few hours
IntroductionHanging a pendant light is a great way to bring light closer to you. Whether you're filling an entire room with light or just a small space, a pendant light is the perfect choice to add style and functionality.
- Wire stripper/cutter
- Measuring tape
- wire nuts
- pendant light
Project step-by-step (6)
Disconnect the power to the room
- Turn off the breaker switch at the distribution panel.
- Pro tip: Double check that power has been disconnected by using an electrical current detector.
Attach cross bar to the junction box
- The cross bar connects the bezel to the electrical box and provides the strength needed to support the light fixture.
- Attach the cross bar to the junction box with the supplied 8-32 thread screws.
Feed the electrical wire through the pendant rod
- Determine the length of rod for your pendant light.
- Feed the electrical wire through the center of the pendant rod and cut to length.
Attach the pendant rod to the ceiling cap
- This light uses a chain link to connect the pendant rod to the ceiling cap.
- Feed the wires through the cap and loop the chain link through the eyelets.
- Note: Some pendant lights use a threaded connector. Either way, the process is the same.
Connect the electrical wire to the light
- Loop the ground wire (bare copper) around the green nut and attach that first.
- Using wire nuts, connect the wire leads to the power leads.
Check for functionality
- Screw in a light bulb of your choice.
- Flip the breaker and turn on the light.
Things you’ll need
Originally Published: October 28, 2021