How to Water a Christmas Tree
Don't forget — your real Christmas tree needs regular watering.
An hour or less
IntroductionHere are a few tips, tricks and devices to keep your Christmas tree hydrated and the nettles on its branches.
- Hand saw
- Tree watering funnel
- Water pitcher
- Tree preservative
Project step-by-step (5)
Cut the End
- Cut an inch off the bottom of the trunk before setting the tree in the stand. The fresh cut allows the tree to absorb more water.
Christmas Tree Preservative
- Adding a preservative to the water will help your tree absorb more water and last longer.
- Some tree preservatives you can buy are Handi Things, Miracle-Gro and Home Accents Holidays.
- Or try this DIY Recipe: Mix one gallon of water with two cups light corn syrup, four teaspoons bleach, and four teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar (optional).
Watering the Tree
- Fill the tree stand with tap water using a pitcher or watering can. A tree watering funnel comes in handy. Just be sure to keep an eye on the water level as you fill the tree basin.
- Water your tree daily. A freshly-cut tree will absorb about a gallon of water in a day.
- Leave yourself a post-it note near the coffee pot or on the refrigerator as a reminder to water the tree.
- Make a daily event in the calendar on your phone or computer and set an alert to remind you to water the tree.
- Don’t forget, water the tree! Happy Holidays!