How To Wrap a Gift Like a Pro
We only used five pieces of tape to wrap this present. Read on to learn how we did it! We'll also show you how to wrap a present if you don't have enough paper.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
An hour or less
Less than $20
IntroductionYes, there is a correct way to wrap a present! Spread some holiday cheer with this step-by-step guide for how to wrap a gift.
- Paper cutter
- Present Box
- Wrapping Paper
Make the gift wrap part of the gift itself by learning how to wrap a gift the right way. It’s easy to wrap a present if you make all your folds and cuts carefully and top it off with a Christmas bow!
Spread some holiday cheer with this step-by-step guide for how to wrap a gift. We’ll also show you how to wrap a present if you don’t have enough paper.
Project step-by-step (13)
How To Measure Gift Wrap
- Measure out wrapping paper by rolling the present box width wise along the rolled out paper.
- Note: Do not cut the wrapping paper from the roll just yet.
- Instead, place the box in the middle of the wrapping paper top side down and make sure the paper goes all the way up both sides when folded.
Cut the Paper
- Once the paper is measured out, cut wrapping paper with a safety design paper cutter along the grid line that is closest to the top side of the box.
- If your gift wrapping paper doesn’t have a grid line to cut to, use the edge of the wrapping paper roll to cut a straight line.
Fold Over One Edge
- Next, center the box on the paper and fold over one end along the length of the box.
- Note: This creates a neat edge for taping later.
Tape Along Folded Seam
- To make the wrapping have clean-edges do not tape the paper directly to the box.
- Instead, tape the folded seam along the paper on the edge of the box.
- Note: This method gives the present wrapping a more professional look.
- Finish taping along this side of the present.
Tuck in the Paper on the Corners
- To prevent the box from sliding while wrapping the sides, place the box on its side.
- Next, push down the paper on either side edge of the box, so the paper holds the box in place.
Fold the End and Tape the Flaps Together
- Lay the present flat once again.
- Once the ends are hugging the corners of the box, you will notice four triangle shape folds on each of the box’s corners.
- Use your fingers to crease each fold and fold the upper and lower flap together.
- Bring the lower flap up to box and crease the overhang and tuck it under the paper and secure with tape.
Repeat on the Other Side
- Turn the box around and repeat this exact same process on the other side of the present.
- Push the present corners inward.
- Crease all triangle folds and tape the folds together.
- Conceal the folds with tape.
Crisp the Paper Edges
- For crisp edges, crease all sides of the box with fingertips.
- Use your fingertips and not your fingernails to crease the edges.
How to Wrap a Gift if You Don’t Have Enough Paper
- Place the present in the middle of the wrapping paper at a diagonal.
- Make sure each side of wrapping paper meets each corner of the present.
Fold Corners In
- Fold the wrapping paper corners in and tape them to the present box.
Fold Edges Flush
- Fold the edges of the wrapping paper up on the side until they are flush with the edge of the box. Secure with tape.
- Repeat this step on the other side of the present.
Fold in Final Edge
- With the final edge, repeat the same idea of folding the bottom corners in enough, so that the bottom edges will lay flush against the adjoining corners.
Secure With Tape
- Fold the final flap in across the top of the box and secure it with tape. Once you’re done, recycle wrapping paper.