How to Make a Christmas Bow
Tying a bow on a present is the perfect way to show someone how much you care. Here's how to make two different kinds of Christmas bows.
IntroductionTying a bow on a present is the perfect way to show someone how much you care. Here's how to make two different kinds of Christmas bows.
Make Christmas Bows
The holidays are quickly approaching, bringing along with them the season of gift giving. After you’ve purchased your gifts, make your present presentation extra special by adding on some Christmas bows. Intimidated by the ornate and elaborate Christmas bows you’ve seen in pictures? Don’t be- they really are not that difficult to duplicate. Here are two different methods for making simple but eye-catching bows that will put the finishing touch on any Christmas present.
How to Make a Christmas Bow in Two Different Styles:
A few rolls of ribbon are all you need to personalize gifts with bows. We’re going to show you how to make a Christmas bow two different ways.
Project step-by-step (10)
How to Make a Gift Bow
- First, wrap your present as you normally would and set it off to the side.
- Wrap the ribbon around your hands five times with each loop neatly placed on top of the previous loop.
- Do not cut the bow from the rest of the ribbon roll just yet.
- Pro tip: Use wired ribbon for this type of bow— it'll make things much easier.
Family Handyman is here to help with our favorite holiday hacks for your home.
Measure Loop Size and Remove From Hand
- Lay the loop on top of the package and adjust its size to your liking. The last loop should end on the opposite side of the starting loop.
- Cut the end off from the rest of the ribbon roll.
- Remove the ribbon from your hand and fold the loop in half.
Cut the Cinch
- Hold the folded loop so that the center fold is facing up.
- With your other hand, take a pair of scissors and cut the corner off of either side of the center fold.
Tie the Middle
- Take a second ribbon and tie it around the middle section.
- Pro tip: The knot should be on the backside of the bow so the bow will lie flat on top of a present.
Fan Out the Bow Loops
- Separate the loops one-by-one from the inside to the outside.
- Pull the loops gently from the center and twist them toward you.
Don’t want to deal with a traditional Christmas tree this year? Check out these ingenious alternatives.
Secure Bow to Present
- Use the ribbon tails to tie the bow to the ribbon wrapped around the present.
- As a second option, you can cut the ribbon tails off from the finished bow and simply tape the bow to the Christmas gift.
- Arrange the loops so they form a circular pattern resembling a flower petal. Check out these unexpected Christmas present hiding places.
How to Make the Classic Wrap Bow
Here's how to make a "classic" Christmas bow that garnishes the corner of your gift:
- Measure the ribbon length by wrapping it around the top corner of the present. (Do not cut the ribbon from the rest of the roll.)
- Run the ribbon under the adjacent corners of the present and bring the ribbon together on the top of the on the last corner.
Tie Ribbon Together
- Tie a standard bow with the ribbon pieces by knotting the two ends together so they are tight.
- Make a loop with the left side of the ribbon.
- Take the right side and wrap it around the left loop.
- Pull the ribbon the through the hole behind the left loop until you have a second loop of the exact same size. Pull it tight.
Take the hassle out of storing your holiday lights and decorations with these simple, inexpensive tips.
- Adjust both of the loops so they don’t overhang the present sides.
- Cut ribbon tales at an angle.
Christmas was made for DIY, and with these 14 mind-blowing do-it-yourself decor ideas you’ll be able to put a sparkle in every room of your home this holiday season.